Prevent electrical shock:
◦ Never use adapters (or
anything) if the grounding pin of a plug has been removed.
◦ Extension cords are prohibited for connection of equipment as the permanent power source in the building. The hospital engineering department should be consulted for assistance if a power supply is not available where it is needed.
◦ Always unplug electrical devices by pulling the plug, not the cord.
◦ If you receive even a
small amount of shock from a device, take the device out of operation -
◦ Report any hazardous conditions or unauthorized devices immediately.
◦ Report devices with any visible damage. Remove from the work or patient-care area and tag for repair by Research Technology Support (formerly BMEE).
◦ Do not bring in privately-owned electrical equipment.
Treat the victim of electrical shock:
1. Turn off the power immediately. Unplug the device at the outlet. Trip the circuit breaker if safe and accessible. Separate the victim from the power source only if it is safe to do so. The victim's body can conduct electricity, as can other conductive materials. Be careful what you touch!
2. Check the victim for pulse and respiration. Start ventilations if respirations are absent. Start CPR if pulse and respirations are absent. Call for help as needed.
3. Complete the hospital occurrence report ( and Safe Medical Device Act procedures if applicable).
© COPYRIGHT ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TOTALBURNCARE.COM
Provided By Kwik Internet Technologies - KwikIT.com